Pharaoh’s Daughter, Foster Mother of Moses
Ancient Thebes, on both sides of the Nile, for over fifteen miles, contains remains of once gigantic buildings erected by Egypt’s greatest king, Rameses II, the Sesostris of the Greek historians.
His mummified body was discovered at Thebes in 1881, and may now be in the museum at Gizeh.
When M. Naville unearthed Pithom, one of the treasure cities built by the Israelite slaves, the ruins showed him to have been the great oppressor, who by their labor constructed those immense cities, temples, canals, and frontier walls, that were the astonishment of after ages.
Whether she adopted Moses was Rameses’ daughter, or daughter of his brother, Armais, who occupied the throne as regent while the great Rameses with is his army of 600,000 foot soldiers, 24,000 cavalry, and 27,000 war chariots, was for nine years conquering the surrounding nations, cannot now be told.
But through her, Moses “was skilled in all of the wisdom of Egypt.” As elsewhere told, learning was wholly confined to the priests, of whom the king was head; these great schools were connected with the temples, and, at times, had thousands of students. In them were taught such ancient wisdom that was found in chapter 64 of the Book of Dead, books and forms of devotion; hymns to and of the gods; war and love songs; moral and philosophical treatises; letter writing; legal documents; mathematics, astrology and medicine; surveying, musical composition, and business in general.
Most of our prized fables and folklore have come out of Egypt’s schools, which did not hesitate to appropriate whatever of ancient or contemporary knowledge the stranger might bring.
According to Josephus, Moses became the commanding officer of the Egyptian army, and defeated the Ethiopians in a noted campaign, captured their capital Merone, and married the Ethiopian King’s daughter.
Reference: Woman: Her Position, Influence and Achievement Throughout the Civilized World. Designed and Arranged by William C. King. Published in 1900 by The King-Richardson Co. Copyright 1903 The King-Richardson Co.